Joakim Lamotte is a Swedish journalist who is well-known for reporting on the cultural enrichment of Sweden in a frank and straightforward manner. His willingness to report honestly on taboo topics has prompted vicious criticism, including death threats. The recent Koran riots only intensified the hate campaign against him.
Joakim Lamotte quits as journalist
After almost 20 years, the reporter Joakim Lamotte is quitting work as a journalist. In a live broadcast online, he says he made the decision after repeated threats against himself and his family.
“In some way, they have found a system to terrorize my family,” he says.
After nearly 20 years, the reporter Joakim Lamotte is quitting working as a journalist. In a live broadcast on Instagram, he explains the background for his decision.
“In some way, they have found a system to terrorize my family. They threaten my wife at her job, they threaten my wife’s colleagues, and call my parents on the phone,” he reports in the broadcast.
“I have filed hundreds of reports of unlawful threats, and not one of them has led to charges. The police have closed every case I have sent to them, even though I was able to show which persons made the threat. My children are getting older and older, and they don’t need to grow up with this, so today, I have made the decision to end my work as a journalist.”
Says of threats: “They have escalated”
The threat picture isn’t new, but it has stepped up lately, says Lamotte.
“As you know, for several years, I have had threats against myself and my family. The level has gone up and down. Now, after the Koran burnings, since I have reported on what is happening in Sweden, it has again escalated during this period.”
He ended his broadcast by thanking those who showed appreciation for his work.
“I am doing this live broadcast largely to thank all of you who have supported me through the years in my job. Without you, it would have been impossible to do this. I also hope that somewhere we have made a difference for Sweden.”
Joakim Lamotte has made a name for himself as an outspoken reporter, considered by many to be straightforward and unafraid. In the last few years his viewer-sponsored live reports, primarily from various vulnerable neighborhoods [i.e. no-go zones], have been both praised and harshly criticized.
But his work has also been demanding, and in a Facebook post on Wednesday, Lamotte says that he has now chosen to leave journalism.
“Due to threats against my family, I must unfortunately hereby report that I am ending my work in journalism. I have worked as a journalist almost 20 years, but now it is over. This evening at 7 pm, I will hold a live press conference on Instagram to explain what is happening. It will be the last live broadcast I will ever do. Other than that, I will not do any interviews. Thanks for all the support over the years!”
Joakim Lamotte’s Facebook post has gotten a massive number of comments in a short time, and many of Lamotte’s followers express regret that he is leaving journalism.
“So incredibly tragic. You are really needed, but I completely understand why you are stepping down after all the pressure, lies, and hate.”
“So sad, wish you and the family all the best.”
“A loss for society that you are stopping. But the family comes first, so you have my full support in your decision.”
Last year Joakim Lamotte was number 68 on GP’s [Göteborgs-Posten] power list, and he was also named as the most powerful Swede on Facebook by the Media Academy. The same year, Lamotte won a famous Thai boxing match against YouTube figure Victor de Almeida.