Book Reviews: The Koran
Compiled by Michael Copeland
- “This wretched book … I have been unable to discover in it one single idea of value.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
- “So long as there is this book there will be no peace in the world.”— William E. Gladstone
- “When I have time, I must put it into German so that every man may see what a foul and shameful book it is.” — Martin Luther
- “It’s a depressing book. It really is. It’s just the rantings of a schizophrenic. There is also the barrenness of the message. It has no ethical dimension.” —Sebastian Faulks
- “[It] teaches fear, hatred, contempt for others. Murder as a legitimate means of spreading and maintaining this devil’s doctrine. It denigrates women, divides people into classes and demands blood and more blood.” — Voltaire (Quoted by Julius O’Malley, comment)
- “He bestows praise upon such instances of treachery, inhumanity, cruelty, revenge, bigotry, as are utterly incompatible with civilised society.” —David Hume
- An “incoherent jumble of fable and precept and declamation which seldom excites a sentiment or an idea, sometimes crawls in the dust and is sometimes lost in the clouds.” —Edward Gibbon
- “…an incentive to war, and propagator of hostility…” —Dayanand Saraswati, Indian sage, 1883
- “An ill-arranged collection of badly translated plagiarisms of earlier Jewish and Christian stories.” — Christopher Hitchens
- “… right there in black and white, absolute encouragement — no, a divine instruction — to act atrociously towards the rest of the world. Page after page of it. Sex slaves, the lot. The thing is horrific. … and if you ask my opinion, the thing should be banned for inciting racial and religious hatred on almost every page.” —Tommy Robinson, in Enemy of the State
- “…at times violent imagery of torment and punishment in hell, at other times direct commands to believers to deal mercilessly with unbelievers, conveyed in a frenzied torrent of words repeatedly revisiting the theme of hatred and vengeance…” — Mathieu Baudin, comment, Jihad Watch
- “The Koran is a manifesto of murder, a death warrant for disbelievers, a purveyor of blood-soaked… sadistic savagery…” — Mortimer, comment Dec 19, 2015 at 10:59 pm
- “It is a troop motivator, a plagiarized text that is self-referentially incoherent, ungrammatical, illogical and unhistorical, incomprehensible in the original text, a racist manifesto of hatred towards non-Arabs, a solicitation of murder, an anti-Semitic hate text, an anti-Christian death warrant, an extortionist’s manual, a justification for pedophilia, polygamy and violence against women. That is the short list of things wrong…” — mortimer, comment December 18, 2015 at 6:05 pm
- “It’s this book that damages women.
It’s this book that damages men.
It’s this book that damages Jesus Christ.”
- “… a vicious call to murder, an eternal malevolent force, a self-replicating DNA of hatred, an inspiration toward and legitimization of man’s most evil impulses.” —Dave J, Dec 8, 2015 at 11:15 pm
- “… a document of exclusion, hatred and violence” — bannedquran20
- “a mishmash of hate, repetitiveness, tediousness, stupidity and incoherency.” — Wellington, comment Dec 26, 2015 at 6:43 pm
- “…an experience similar to reading Mein Kampf.
The implications of the text are quite scary. I was simply horrified.”
— No Fear, comment Mar 25, 2016 at 6:24 am
- a hastily contrived assortment of rants that lacks any coherence — acuara, comment
- “that hideously evil piece of trash” — Saleem Smith, comment, Jihad Watch
- …a twisted sick sociopathic battle plan to usher in a rash morally stunted desert people’s totalitarian supremacy. — Dravaa, comment
- the babble of a demon-possessed man who blabbed for 23 years. — Rod Dodger, comment
- “It’s a terrible book” — Tanya Joya, ex-Muslim, ex-wife of ISIS jihadi, on Piers Morgan’s television programme timesofisrael.com/the-former-first-lady-of-isis-now-loves-reform-jews-plans-to-visit-jerusalem/
For previous essays by Michael Copeland, see the Michael Copeland Archives.