Further update: Police now say only one of the two men (the one named Mohamed) is considered a suspect; the Francophone fellow is a witness. This is bizarre, and doesn’t make much sense to me, but here it is (from an updated version of the same article):
Police now say only one of the two people arrested after Sunday’s terror attack on a mosque in Quebec City is a suspect, with the second man considered a witness.
The two arrested are Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed Khadir.
One of the men was arrested at the scene, while a second called 911 himself and was arrested around 9 p.m., just over an hour after the first 911 calls came in at 7:55 p.m., police said Monday morning during a news conference involving the Sûreté du Québec, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Quebec City police and Montreal police.
Quebec City police Insp. Denis Turcotte said the man who called 911 waited for officers to arrest him not long after the shooting at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec in Quebec City’s Ste-Foy neighbourhood.
“He was armed and spoke to us about his acts,” said Turcotte. “He seemed to want to co-operate….The suspect said he was waiting for the police to arrive.”
A home on Tracel St. in the Cap-Rouge district of Quebec City was among the places where the police conducted searches on Monday.
The single-family dwelling appears to belong to Bissonette’s parents, who bought the property in 1987, real-estate records show.
Bissonnette’s father is listed in the sales deed as an investigator.
Update: Two shooters have now been identified in the media. The incident has a Mohammed Coefficient of 50%.
One has a Muslim name, the other a Quebecois name. Presumably the latter is a convert — unless he was a local infidel who joined in just for the fun of shooting people.
Quebec Mosque Shooting: Suspects Not Known to Police
According to Radio-Canada and LCN, the two suspects in Sunday’s terror attacks on a mosque in Quebec City are Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed Khadir.
One of the suspects was arrested at the scene, while a second called 911 himself and was arrested around 9 p.m., just over an hour after the first 911 calls came in at 7:55 p.m., police said Monday morning during a news conference involving the Sûreté du Québec, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Quebec City police and Montreal police.
The suspects, men in their late 20s and early 30s, were not known to police and the investigation into a possible motive continues, said superintendent Martin Plante of the RCMP’s C Division.
Nothing published since last night mitigates against my thesis that this was a Salafist attack on murtadeen who were being insufficiently zealous about killing infidels and imposing the shariah.
Anyone want to take bets on the length of the perpetrators’ beards?
As reported in tonight’s news feed, gunmen shot up a mosque in Quebec City, killing at least five people.
Early news stories gave a bare-bones account of the incident, followed by the Narrative describing “Islamophobia” in Quebec, and a recent increase of Islamophobic incidents.
Then came reports from eyewitnesses who said that the gunmen had been shouting “Allahu Akhbar” as they fired their weapons. That shot holes in the Narrative, too — unless, of course, the shooters were white-supremacist neo-Nazis who were just pretending to be Muslims.
The following video sheds some light on what may actually have happened in Quebec City tonight. It’s taken from the Facebook page of the mosque that was attacked. In it you’ll hear the imam of the mosque discuss the enmity of former members of the congregation who were unhappy with the blasphemous “moderation” of this mosque — that is, the shot-up mosque was full of murtadeen, or apostates.
Tonight’s attack may well have been an execution of Islamic justice against murtadeen by Salafist zealots.
Many thanks to Sandra Solomon for the translation, and to Vlad Tepes for the subtitling:
Below are excerpts from a CBC article about the attack:
Multiple Dead: 2 Arrested in Shooting at Quebec City Mosque
‘Quebec categorically reject this barbaric violence,’ says Philippe Couillard
Quebec City Police say several people are dead after shots were fired inside a Quebec City mosque on Sunday night.
Multiple people are also feared wounded. Their condition is not known at this time.
A few dozen people were inside the Islamic cultural centre of Quebec in the Sainte-Foy neighbourhood when the shooting began just after 8 p.m.
Quebec City Police Constable Étienne Doyon said mostly men were gathered at the mosque for evening prayers.
The director of the centre said at least five people were killed, but that information has not been confirmed by police.
Two suspects have been arrested, one of whom was apprehended after a chase that ended near l’île d’Orléans.
A large perimeter has been set up around the mosque.
‘A Quebecois accent’
A witness, who asked to remain anonymous, told CBC’s French-language service Radio-Canada that two masked individuals entered the mosque.
“It seemed to me that they had a Quebecois accent. They started to fire, and they shot they yelled, ‘Allahu akbar!’ The bullets hit people that were praying. People who were praying lost their lives. A bullet passed right over my head,” said the witness.
“There were even kids. There was even a three-year-old who was with his father.”
|0:29||It’s a weird thing. You see a group of brothers. They meet,|
|0:35||to work for the Jamaat Islamiya (the Muslim community). They will agree together and|
|0:38||they will walk on the same path for a year or two, three,|
|0:41||and then they will disagree, and then the fights and hatred will start.|
|0:47||They will boycott the other Islamic centre that’s been opened,|
|0:50||and they will call it the masjid of the bull. [an insult]