Last week a worker at an asylum center in France was murdered, allegedly by a Sudanese culture-enricher who had been ordered to be deported for committing previous crimes of violence, but had not responded to summonses. The magistrate in the case has ruled out any link to “terrorism”.
Murder in asylum center at Pau. Aggressor charged and jailed
The Sudanese, 38, alleged perpetrator of a deadly attack on Friday, has been placed in provisional detention at the remand center at Pau, the state prosecutor of the town said on Sunday.
February 21, 2021
The prosecutor’s office at Pau announced on Sunday February 21 that a 38-year-old Sudanese had been placed in custody for murder and detained. He is suspected of being the perpetrator of a deadly attack on an official of the asylum center of Pau (Atlantic Pyrenees) that occurred Friday.
At the end of his custody, which had been extended on Saturday, the man appeared on Sunday before a judge. The judge charged him and placed him in provisional detention at the Pau remand center, said the State prosecutor of Pau, Cecile Gensac.
The man is being prosecuted for stabbing (13 wounds have been identified) the head of the reception center for asylum-seekers (CADA, centre d’accueil de demandeurs d’asile) Isard-COS at Pau, where he had been placed a few years ago. The victim, a 46-year-old father and social worker with experience in asylum cases, died of his wounds shortly after the attack.
Destined for imminent expulsion due to convictions for violent crimes
Having been in France since 2015, and the beneficiary of an international protection subsidiary status up to last November, the respondent was destined for an imminent expulsion due to convictions for violent crimes that earned him prison time between January 2017 and August 2018. At the end of 2020, he had not responded to two summons to notify him of the end of his residence permit.
During his interrogation, the man explained to the investigators that he “harbored resentments” against the CADA-Isard-COS of Pau and felt “that his situation had not been correctly handled,” the prosecutor stated Saturday. Fearful of being sent back to Sudan while it was at war, he had come Friday to obtain from this agency, “a paper addressed to the attention of Ofpra (French Office for Protection of Refugees and Stateless Persons) to allow him to remain in France,” according to the magistrate.
She stressed that the suspect was, “neither reported nor on file in the context of violent radicalization, and the (information) gathered makes it possible to rule out any terrorist intention.”