Below is the latest weekend news roundup from German-language news media, compiled and collated by JLH.
That Was Then, This is Now — Echoes in German
After our president ordered the Tomahawk attack on the Syrian air base, a number of people commented on the Baron’s discussion of the event. This made me wonder how the German-speaking world would fit into the general picture of former supporters condemning and former enemies praising him. Here is a summary of reactions. I leave it to you to decipher its meaning.
Dazzling Change of Course to an Unclear Goal
No doubt about who the guilty party is
Radical Course Change!
Donald Trump confounded friends and enemies. The man elected as an isolationist changes course in 48 hours from “America First” to “God bless the whole world.”
Now he’s shocked (by the pictures)
Impulsive and unpredictable
What if he gets the urge to flex his muscles elsewhere? Like North Korea. When all is said and done, he likes to win
Trump’s Syrian Warning
Ominous message to North Korea and Iran
Path open for new justice on Supreme Court
Trump’s Warning Shot at Assad
The Kremlin is sending a warship to the Mediterranean and forecloses an accord with the USA.
All targets surveyed.
Trump’s Little War
Is this the birth of a world politician with a global view? Or another show by a populist under pressure?
We Are Seeing the Birth of Trump, the Foreign Affairs Politician
- Assad was feeling too secure
- Trump surprised everyone
- The USA is back at the table
- A message to Kim
What are the consequences of this attack for the world?
American Defense Minister is investigating whether Russia was involved in the poison gas attack
BILD chief editor Julian Richest
“Trump did what we expect from America.”
His air strike was able to “kill several flies with one blow.”
1. As US president, demonstrated the capacity for action. 2. Re-united a party splintered by the health care reform debate. 3. Showed he is not Obama and distanced himself from that foreign policy weakness. 4. Sent a signal to Russia and Syria that he is not bluffing. 5. He gave the order on the day of his first hosting of Chinese president Xi Jinping. A clear sign of strength to Beijing.
Trump is playing with fire (What will Russia do?)
Trump’s Syrian Turn — Weighing the Risks
What a change in such a short time. A few days ago, Donald Trump ruled out military intervention in Syria. And now? The US intervention is risky.
- Trump, the symbolic president
- The unpredictable president
- Open confrontation with Russia
- And the winner is… ISIS
“A Brutally Symbolic Gesture”
Astounding change of attitude!
“No recognizable, thought-out strategy”
Dialogue instead of bombs (please)
US Threatens Further Military Attacks Against Assad
- US investigation into Russia’s role
- UN Security Council blocked (Russian veto)
- Crisis between Washington and Moscow
- Russia alerted ahead of time
- Saudi Arabia and Turkey welcome US attack