A reader in Canada sends the following observations about the likely future of Europe. It arrived via an email forward, so the author of the piece is unknown.
One reality about Europe’s current political leadership is summarized here:
- Emmanuel Macron, the newly elected French President, has no children.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has no children.
- Austria’s Chancellor Sebastian Kurz has no children
- British Prime Minister Theresa May has no children.
- Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni has no children.
- Holland’s Mark Rutte,
- Sweden’s Stefan Löfven,
- Luxembourg’s Xavier Bettel, and
- Scotland’s Nicola Sturgeon, all have no children.
- Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, has no children.
Ironically, it would seem that a grossly disproportionate number of the people who make the major decisions about Europe’s future have no direct personal stake in the future…