Four French summer camp counselors were fired from their jobs because they were fasting during Ramadan. Their employers believe that their lack of nourishment prevented them from protecting the health and well-being of the children in their care, but the fired workers insist they are victims of discrimination.
In other, more homicidal news from across the Islamic world:
- Seventeen people were killed in Yemen in a clash between rebel gunmen and government forces.
- Bombings and other Ramadan attacks by Al Qaeda killed twenty-three people in Iraq, including a young TV presenter in Mosul.
- Fighting between soldiers and rebels in the Christian suburbs of Damascus killed at least one soldier.
- Seven Iranian aid workers were kidnapped in Libya.
- A comedian who was well-known for poking fun at Al Shabaab was gunned down in Somalia.
To see the headlines and the articles, open the full news post.
Notice to tipsters: Please don’t submit extensive excerpts from articles that have been posted behind a subscription firewall, or are otherwise under copyright protection.
Commenters are advised to leave their comments at this post (rather than with the news articles) so that they are more easily accessible.
Caveat: Articles in the news feed are posted “as is”. Gates of Vienna cannot vouch for the authenticity or accuracy of the contents of any individual item posted here. We check each entry to make sure it is relatively interesting, not patently offensive, and at least superficially plausible. The link to the original is included with each item’s title. Further research and verification are left to the reader.