Christine Brim’s articulate and meticulously sourced post at Big Peace rounds up all the Ground Zero news.
Below is her summary of the poll numbers on public opinion about
The Cordoba Mosque, umm…make that the Cordoba Initiative…uh, no…call it “Park51”; yeah, that’s it, name it after the address of the place; nice and neutral, eh what?
Hmmm…in reality is it Park51 or another version of 52 Pick Up? They’re both mean games, and both require uninformed suckers to make their ploy work.
Ms. Brim says:
On July 22, Rasmussen Reports, the highly predictive polling firm, had reported that 54% of the American public opposed the mosque. At that time, Rasmussen reported that 22% of the American public were following the story closely.
One month later, on August 23, Rasmussen reported that 62% of the American public oppose the mosque, and 77% of mainstream voters oppose it. They reported that 58% are following it closely (up from 22% a month before), and 85% of Americans were following news stories on the mosque.
Of the total American population, 72.4% of the population is defined as adult — over 20 years of age according to 2007 statistics. If 62% of those adults oppose the Ground Zero Mosque, that’s approximately 140 million American adults in opposition.
As to registered voters, another important group: CNN found that 68% of registered voters opposed the Ground Zero Mosque.
UPDATE AS THIS GOES TO PRESS: An August 25 poll from CBS News finds 71% of all Americans now oppose the Ground Zero Mosque.
She has some impressive numbers there. But when did the opinion of the electorate have any sway with the Political Class? The only way we have of “impressing” them is to make them run scared. 71% is a majority of folks, but the public famously has a short attention span. If Imam Rauf can manage to stay on his tax-payer funded tour of the Middle East, raising money for this massively duplicitous undertaking, and Obama can stay hunkered down on the golf course…well, maybe some scandal will come along to distract everyone?
Back to the summary:
– – – – – – – – –
- The money trail is leading inexorably to extremist Islamic states like Saudi Arabia, Qatar and even Iran;
- An extraordinary tipping point has happened, a kind of “wisdom of crowds” from ordinary American citizens across the country, bringing together groups and individuals who have never worked together before but who now are allies in opposition to the Ground Zero Mosque, and to the Islamic Shariah law that Rauf proposes for America;
- Public opinion polls are moving against the mosque at lightning speed;
- Pelosi’s response: investigate the mosque’s opponents.
Pelosi, it seems, cannot imagine an American public — in this case, 140 million Americans — independently making up their minds to oppose the mosque. She imagines instead that there must be funding at the George Soros/Saudi Prince millionaire levels customary for the leftwing fringe. She cannot imagine that the American people could decide on their own to oppose the policies of this administration — or, in the case of the Ground Zero Mosque, the policies of the House of Saud.
Just as Pelosi said that we had to pass the Healthcare Bill to find out what’s in it, she and Bloomberg have taken the position that we have to allow the mosque to be built to find out Rauf’s plans for Shariah in America. If Americans disagree, they must be investigated.
Poor Pelosi. She can threaten to investigate the “funding sources” for the opposition to this insult at Ground Zero, but only San Francisco cares about Pelosi; the rest of the country laughs. Even the Democrats running for office are doing so from a desperate platform of “NANCY WHO??”. Someone ought to buy them all T-shirts stamped: “I’m not with HER –>”…
Ms. Brim points out that “the dwindling mainstream media” is as clueless as Pelosi. As an example, she points to TIME Magazine’s plaintive headline: “Is America Islamophobic?” [By the way, Phyllis Chesler turned the tables and asked: “Is Time a Muslim Magazine?”. As she said, I did not think that the pro-Muslim/pro-Islamist and anti-Western propaganda could get any worse-and yet it just has…]
Ms. Brim believes that we’re developing something she calls “SIRJ Syndrome”: Shariah-Immune and Resistant to Jihad. And like the executive she is, she hands us some marching orders, some achievable goals:
- On or before September 11, 2010, please consider helping to fund the groups opposing the Ground Zero Mosque, whether they’re in your local community or in New York City or elsewhere.
- The Coalition to Honor Ground Zero lists a number of groups; it’s a great start, and many other groups are also active in the rapidly growing movement to oppose Shariah law being imposed on America.
- Other options: donate to your local firefighters or police associations,
- Or to a 9-11 family group in your hometown (families of 9-11 victims live across America).
- Or give to your local veterans organization or wounded warriors support group.
- Find something to fund that matters to you, and to America; do it in the name of the firefighters and police, the many families left behind, the people who died that day.
- Don’t “get over it.” Instead, keep at it.
- And then help Mrs. Pelosi in her investigation of Ground Zero Mosque opponents. Tell her to investigate America. She has a lot to learn from 140 million of her fellow citizens.
Pelosi’s input button got lost in the laundry years ago. She hasn’t heard anything new since 1999. But if you shout loud enough in her good ear, a dim awareness of others may blink on briefly. Her poor hearing is no doubt due in part to quaffing those taxpayer-funded bottles o’ bubbly she has ordered for her taxpayer-funded private plane.
The Dems are so skilled at dreaming up new perks. A private plane for the Speaker of the House? Of course! We’ll beat this
Depression mild downturn the tried-and-true Democrat Keynesian way: they spend our way to the poor house.
Read all of her essay here. I like the way she sets up the opposing groups at the beginning:
Dueling investigations are underway on the Ground Zero Mosque. Mustering on the Offense, in opposition to the Ground Zero Mosque: hundreds of citizen researchers, reporters, lawyers, authors, elected officials, and scholars who are researching Imam Rauf and his Muslim Brotherhood colleagues and their funding. An Army of Davids.
And playing Defense as best they can, supporting the Imam and his rapidly collapsing Cordoba House of Cards: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Daily Kos, Glenn Greenwald at Salon, ThinkProgress, Vet Voice, and now Politico, all “investigating” the groups and individuals who oppose the Ground Zero Mosque.
“…collapsing Cordoba House of Cards”? Anyone for 52 Pick Up, y’all?