It seems that even the blandishments of the European Union are not enough to persuade the Serbs to give up Kosovo voluntarily.
According to EuroNews:
Serbia to snub EU and deny Kosovo independence
Serbia has re-affirmed its absolute opposition to independence for Kosovo, even if that causes a rift with the European Union. Belgrade had been offered a fast-track to EU membership, in return for relaxing its position on its breakaway province. But Serbian foreign minister Vuk Jeremic said Belgrade would reject Brussels’ approaches, and possible membership of NATO, if the West recognises Kosovo in the New Year.
“We very much hope that come the end of January, Serbia will have signed the stabilisation and association agreement with the European Union,” he said. “Serbia is going to stay on a path towards Europe. But, Serbia will do everything in its institutional power, short of using military force, to make sure that our sovereignty and territorial integrity is upheld.”
So what means can a sovereign nation employ to uphold its territorial integrity, short of using military force?
These are the options I can think of:
– – – – – – – – –
- A plea to foreign powers not to interfere with Serbian military affairs.
- A strongly-worded diplomatic note of protest to the country or countries whose armed forces assist Kosovo in attaining independence.
- A call to neighboring countries in the Balkans for diplomatic support against the countries that interfere.
- The submission of a resolution to the United Nations General Assembly calling for the world body to enforce Serbia’s territorial integrity.
- Lying down on the floor and screaming until the world decides to leave Serbia alone.
In other words, Serbia has no recourse short of military force to ensure that its territorial integrity is respected by foreign powers.
The article goes on to say:
The resolution in parliament had the backing of Serbia’s President and Prime Minister, as well as opposition leaders. Kosovo’s Albanian majority enjoys the support of the United States and Western Europe, and its leaders are ready to declare unilateral independence early next year. The Serbian President demanded that NATO peacekeepers protect Serbs in Kosovo, and warned that if they could not, the Serbian army would do the job.
A reminder of who the foreign powers will be that create an independent Kosovo against the will of Serbia: NATO.
That means, in effect, the United States of America.
Will the USA really use military force to carve a Wahhabist gangster statelet out of a Christian nation whose territorial integrity it is bound by treaty to uphold?
Stay tuned. We’ll find out soon enough.
Hat tip: Henrik.