Who knows why she did it?
One thing is certain, though: a seemingly suicidal Louisiana politician, Carla Blanchard Dartez, shot off her mouth and probably killed her chances in a local election runoff — it is a deserved death, an unmercy killing.
A Democrat who serves in the Louisiana legislature called a black supporter “Buckwheat” just days before the runoff election that will determine whether or not she returns to Baton Rouge.
[For our European readers, Buckwheat was a movie character from the 1930’s. Definitely a racial slur, as you’d know if you heard him talk. No Eton vowels for Buckwheat. There was also Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben, and Step ‘n’ Fetch It, just to recall a few icons from those days. Our American readers of a certain age can add their own remembered names]
The sheer stupidity of this woman’s behavior can be seen in the details:
– – – – – – – – –
- The woman she slurred, Hazel Boykin, is 75 years old. She’s been a civil rights worker for a long time and is highly respected in her community for her pioneering work for equality.
- Mrs. Boykin’s son is president of the local NAACP. Thus, he has a lot of foot soldiers who can be called upon to urge voters to — *gasp* — vote for Dartez’ Republican rival. Which he has done, via his radio program.
- Mrs. Dartez’ husband is a member of the Democrat Party’s State Central Committee.
- Mrs. Dartez herself has additional image issues — e.g., her September citation for improper lane usage after hitting a pedestrian with her vehicle. She failed a field sobriety test but passed a later breathalyzer test.
- Her husband, mentioned above, has been indicted for allegedly harboring illegal aliens through his construction business.
insensitive idiot politician proclaimed contrition for her little linguistic slip, but no one is buying it:
I made an insensitive comment, and I regret my choice of words,” Dartez said in a statement reported by The (Houma) Courier newspaper. “I have apologized to both Hazel and Jerome Boykin. The Boykin family has been a huge help in my campaign for re-election, and I did not mean to offend them.”
But Hazel Boykin disagreed and said Dartez still has not personally apologized to her.
I love it when (at least some) Democrats are held to the same standard as Republicans, even in Loosiana. It gives you renewed faith in the electoral process.
How you want them buckwheat pancakes, Miz Carla? With syrup, or sackcloth and ashes?