Jihad: Muslims Speak
Compiled by Michael Copeland
- “Jihad stands for killing all kafirs [non-Muslims] around the world. Push your sword into their bodies, cut them into pieces. … Sword is the key to Allah’s paradise.” —Ayatollah Khomeini. Islam Watch, 4 April 2010
- “Jihad is not inhumane, despite its necessary violence and bloodshed, its ultimate desire is peace which is protected and enhanced by the rule of law.” —Ibrahim Sulaiman, modern Islamic scholar. The Religion of Peace
- “Jihad is the most talked about duty in the Koran … Nothing else is mentioned more than the topic of fighting.” —Anjem Choudary
- “Jihad means to war against non-Muslims …signifying warfare to establish the religion”, a “communal obligation” (o9.0, o9.1).
The scriptural basis for jihad, prior to scholarly consensus is such Koranic verses as:
Fighting is prescribed for you (Koran 2:216)
Slay them wherever you find them (Koran 4:89)
Fight the idolaters utterly (Koran 9:36)” —The Manual of Islamic Law, Reliance of the Traveller
- “And fight in the way of Allah with those who fight with you” —Koran 2:190
- “…jihad is a religious duty because of the universalism of the Muslim mission and the obligation to convert everybody to Islam either by persuasion or by force.” —Ibn Khaldun, The Muqadimmah. An Introduction to History, Franz Rosenthal, translation by Raymond Ibrahim
- “The goal of Islam is to rule the entire world and submit all of mankind to the faith of Islam. Any nation or power that gets in the way of that goal, Islam will fight and destroy. In order to fulfill that goal, Islam can use every power available every way it can be used to bring worldwide revolution. This is Jihad. “ —Maulana Maududi, ‘Jihad in Islam‘. Quoted by Tradewinds, comment Jihad Watch
- “I have complete faith that Islam will invade Europe and America, because Islam has logic and a mission. The jihad will lead to smashing Western civilization and replacing it with Islam which will dominate the world ….” —Muhammad Mahdi Akef, leader of the Muslim Brotherhood 2004-10. Front Page Magazine, 11 February 2004; American Thinker, 20 April 2007
- “There is a time when a military struggle must take place in [Britain]. Jihad. It’s called conquering.” —Omar Bakri, 1997. The Guardian
- “Where is your weapon? Where is your weapon? Come on to the Jihad.” —Omar Bakri. Quoted by Tony Blankley, The West’s Last Chance
- “Many thanks to God, for his kind gesture, and choosing us to perform the act of Jihad for his cause and to defend Islam and Muslims. Therefore, killing you and fighting you, destroying you and terrorizing you, responding back to your attacks, are all considered to be great legitimate duty in our religion.” — Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his fellow 9/11 defendants
- “The greatest sacrifice made in the way of Allah is Jihad. In it man sacrifices not only his own life and belongings but destroys those of others also.” —Maulana Maududi, Towards Understanding Islam
- “You shall not regain Al-Aqsa [Jerusalem] and Palestine without preparations, rockets, and guns… not… through negotiations, capitulations, kisses, or hugs. The one thing that will restore Palestine to you is Jihad, Jihad, and more Jihad.” — Sheik Muhammad Zaghmout, head, Palestinian Islamic Council in Lebanon, 2012.
- “The shedding of the blood of infidels is for the sake of purification and security. We must draw a distinction between the concepts [f [sic] chaos and Jihad]. The killing of an infidel, the bombing of an embassy, the killing of US diplomats, or the killing of Rafidite Shiites do not constitute chaos. These are great, noble, and blessed steps towards order.” —Al-Jazoul, Sudanese Cleric. Jihad Watch
- “The Muslims waged wars, spreading Islam to the East and West.
Jihad was the reason that they humiliated the infidel,
collected the jizya poll tax from them, and captured their women,
Our prophet was a mujahid (terrorist).
Jihad! Jihad! Jihad is incumbent upon you.” —Child preacher, Abu Ja’far.FrontPage Mag
- “The process of settlement is a “Civilisation-Jihadist Process”…a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within… “ —Muslim Brotherhood Strategic Goal, “The Project”
- “The abolition of man-made laws cannot be achieved only through preaching.… It must employ Jihad.” —Sayeed Qutb, Milestones.
- “One of the goals of immigration is the revival of the duty of jihad and enforcement of power over the infidels. Immigration and jihad go together.” —Abu Baseer in London. Melanie Philips, Londonistan
- “The mosque in Islam, since the very beginning, has always been a center of Islamic activity. Islamic public relation campaigns began in mosques … the mosque is the bastion of the great jihad … and it was from there that Muslim armies went out to subdue the infidels and subject them to Islam… the mosques in the time of the most honorable of Allah’s messengers, Muhammad …were places of war [i.e., the central command post from which wars were directed]”. —”The Mosque in the Reflections of the Imam Khomeini,” booklet p.35
- “Slavery is part of jihad, and jihad will remain as long there is Islam.” — Sheikh Saleh Al-Fawzan, professor, imam and eminent Saudi scholar.
- “Jihad is only between Muslims and infidels. Spoils, slaves, and prisoners are only to be taken in war between Muslims and infidels. Muslims in the past conquered, invaded, and took over countries. This is agreed to by all scholars …” —Sheikh Abu-Ishaq al-Huwayni, Egypt, May 2011. Jihad Watch
- “Boko Haram” is a nickname, meaning “Western education is forbidden”. Official Arabic name, Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad, means “People Committed to the Propagation of the Prophet’s Teachings and Jihad”. —BBC
- “O Britain, America, Israel and Nigeria …. Jihad started now, jihad started now, O enemies of Allah.” — Abubakar Shekau of Boko Haram, “The People Committed to… Jihad”
- “…Arms for Jihad! We are the first ones to rush and run to defend our community and defend ourselves. The power of armaments! … Brothers, that is why the Koran says ‘Prepare’. … When you have the power of armaments!…” —Shakar Elsayed, imam of Dar Al Hijrah Mosque, Virginia, USA. Bare Naked Islam
- “I was astounded when he [Hitler] told me that he knew about my [book]. I found him very congenial and piercing. He discussed Islamic Jihad with me in details”. —al-Mashriqi, Muslim jihadist from India. Hesperado comment
For previous essays by Michael Copeland, see the Michael Copeland Archives.