Last weekend I posted about the broadcast of the Ramadan call to prayer from the cathedral in the Catalonian city of Lleida.
I asked our Catalonian correspondent Pampasnasturtium to look into the incident and see if he could learn anything more. Here’s the report he sent:
To start with, I made a cursory search, and the mohammedan call to prayer in Lleida doesn’t seem to have been covered by the Catalan mainstream media online journals.
I also checked the web pages of El Periódico and La Vanguardia (for Spanish), and El Nacional and Ara (for Catalan), for example, and no coverage, either.
It seems to only have been covered by so-called “right-wing” outlets. Here is some additional pertinent information:
1. The political composition of the municipal coalition government in Lleida:
- Partly ERC (‘Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya’, EU suck-ups, globalism-loving leftists) and
- Partly JxCat (‘Junts per Catalunya’, disoriented residual right/centrists, former Christian Democrats),
- With ‘En Comú Podemos’ (extreme left, Iran-loving, Maduro-loving communists, basically antifa) barely represented.
No surprises then that the town council authorized such jihad/dawah activities via loudspeakers.
2. Sandra Castro is Lleida’s ‘councillor for education, cooperation, rights and feminisms’ [sic], an ‘LGTBIQ+ activist’ (as per her own description on Twitter bio), and county secretary for the Republican Left of Catalonia.
She tweeted this. Her caption reads:
Goosebumps, beautiful and very emotional, to listen to the call to Ramadan from the Baluard de la Reina (fortress walls). This year, they’ll live it in confinement, without being able to hold community prayers. To all of the Muslim community of Lleida, #RamadanMubarak @dretscivilsll @afersreligiosos
The account that re-tweets this obscenity reminds its readers of the public positions she holds (as described above), and that (as per the caption):
‘Last year she proposed to turn the pubilla* into something else because they were anachronistic and male supremacist.’
Fortunately, if I recall correctly, that project was dismissed after sparking much outrage.
|*||A pubilla… in ancestral Catalan tradition was the female that would inherit the whole rural estate in the absence of a brother.
My first “Damage to Catalonia” post was in February 2019.