It appears that today’s terrorist attack in Munich was not a replay of the events of five years ago in Norway.
A police press conference was held just after midnight, and the police chief said there was only one gunman, an Iranian-German with dual nationality. He killed nine people and wounded at least twenty others before killing himself.
I don’t yet have a name or photo of the perp.
According to The Guardian:
The attacker was an 18-year-old German of Iranian descent. His body was found at 8:30pm local time, having shot himself.
There were 10 dead, including the attacker, police say, and 21 wounded. There is no motive as yet.
The gunman had lived in Munich for a long time, police chief Hubertus Andra tells the press conference, and had no previous criminal record.
And from the BBC:
Munich’s Police President Hubertus Andrae confirmed the suspect’s death
A shooting at a Munich shopping centre which left nine people dead was carried out by one gunman who then killed himself, German police have said.
The suspect was an 18-year-old German-Iranian dual national who lived in Munich, police told a news conference, but his motive is unclear.
More than 20 people were injured, three critically, police added.
A huge manhunt was launched following reports that up to three gunmen had been involved in the attack.
The body of the suspect was found about 1km (0.6 miles) from the Olympia shopping centre in the north-western suburb of Moosach.
Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae told the news conference early on Saturday that the suspect had not been known to police and there were no known links to terror groups, although investigations were continuing.
The reports of three suspected attackers came when witnesses saw two people leaving the scene in a car “at considerable speed”, but they were later confirmed not to be involved, he added.
“The motive or explanation for this crime is completely unclear,” he said.
Mr Andrae also said that children were among the casualties, but gave no further details.