Note: This post was a “sticky” feature, and was on top for several days. Scroll down for later posts, including a report from the Bloody Borders in Cameroon, a video of the pope talking about the Rohingya, Sunny on White Privilege, a video about the mobilization of the German army to help refugees.
In his debut essay for Gates of Vienna, our Central European correspondent Max Denken examines the historical roots of Austria’s current policy of national suicide.
Totentanz (Death dance), Nuremberg Chronicle, 1493, attributed to Hans Holbein the Younger
Totentanz: Austria’s New-Old Waltz
by Max Denken
The news at the end of July 2015 was that the Public Prosecutor in Vienna has launched a criminal investigation against Geert Wilders. And that’s on the day when a poll by Dutch national TV revealed that Wilders’s Party for Freedom (PVV) is now the biggest party in the Netherlands.
Citing an Austrian law that prohibits “hurting religious feelings” or “inciting to violence against a religion,” with a penalty of up to two years in prison, the prosecutor seized on Wilders’s March 27, 2015 speech in Vienna as a pretext to speed up the self-obliteration of Austria by Muslim immigration. In that speech, invoking the saving of Vienna from Islam in 1683, the Dutch political leader spoke of the necessity to contain that corrosive religion’s expansion in Europe. He called for a ban on the Koran, and elaborated, “No more mosques. Close all Islamic schools. Today! No to mullahs and imams.”
Austria is not unique in its welcoming self-erasure by a tidal wave of Third World immigrants and its brutal colonialist ideology: Islam. But the lemming waltz it dances is the stuff of a particularly biting satire.
There was no people more Nazi-loving than the Austrians. In the plebiscite held in 1938, 99.7% of the Austrian people voted in favor of unification with Germany (Jews were not allowed to vote). Throngs of young Austrian women wept in mystical ecstasy at the sight of Hitler, not unlike the female multitude in America that wept at the sight of Obama in 2008. Indeed, its native son Adolf Hitler was Austria’s second rock star. The first, a more wholesome and talented one, was Franz Liszt, an ethnic Hungarian.
Besides Hitler, many of the worst human monsters in the Nazi machine, and particularly in its death camps, were Austrian. Among them were these Nazi mass murderers (and that’s the tip of an iceberg, two hours’-worth of research):
- Alois Brunner, key Adolf Eichmann’s deputy and SS commandant of the Drancy internment camp in France, directly responsible for sending more than 140,000 European Jews to the gas chambers;
- Anton Burger, SS officer, second commandant of the Theresienstadt concentration camp, where 33,000 people died as a result of their captors’ sadism, disease and malnutrition. Burger’s signature act was to order the 40,000 camp inmates to stand at attention for hours in sub-zero temperature, for a “census”. 300 froze to death. Oversaw also the deportation of thousands of Greek Jews to death camps.
- Irmfried Eberl, SS officer, medical doctor, director of the euthanasia institutes in Brandenburg and Bernburg and first commandant of the Treblinka extermination camp. Eberl was dismissed for incompetence because he was murdering people in numbers far larger than could be “orderly processed,” with thousands of decomposing bodies strewn about.
- Karl Fritzsch, SS deputy commandant of the Auschwitz extermination camp. Pioneered the use of Zyklon B for mass murder. Innovator in other ways too, for instance killing people by immurement or arranging a pile of dead bodies under the camp’s Christmas tree as “Christmas presents” for the Polish prisoners.
- Odilo Globocnik, SS general and Police Chief in occupied eastern Poland. Responsible for the implementation of Operation Reinhard, originator of the idea of the extermination camps in Majdanek, Sobibor, Treblinka and Belzec, their builder and overseer. Murderer of over 1.3 million people in those camps, more than 1 million Jewish. Responsible for major atrocities against the Polish population, including ethnic cleansing through the forcible resettlement and dispossession of 1.7 million Poles, looting and devastation of eastern Poland, many dead.
- Amon Goeth, commandant of the Plaszow concentration camp in Krakow, known for shooting children with a scoped rifle for sport while breakfasting, and other similar amusements (see Schindler’s List).
- Aribert Heim, SS doctor also known as Dr. Death, killed and tortured inmates by various “experimental” methods at the concentration camp in Mauthausen. Also served as “doctor” in the Sachsenhausen and Buchenwald concentration camps.
- Ernst Kaltenbrunner, SS general, Chief of Security for the Third Reich including its various polices forces (Gestapo, SIPO, Kripo, SD etc), responsible for numerous crimes against humanity committed by these forces, e.g. mass murder of civilians in occupied countries by Einsatz Groups, ethnic cleansing, large-scale population enslavement in forced labor camps, mistreatment of prisoners of war and more.
- Hermann Michel, SS Staff Sergeant at the Sobibor extermination camp, responsible for making speeches to Jews before they entered the gas chambers.
- Karl Rahm, SS and Gestapo officer, third Commandant of the Theresienstadt concentration camp, known for taking pleasure in brutal beatings of prisoners and overseeing their torture sessions.
- Franz Reichleitner, Gestapo, then SS officer, assistant supervisor at the Hartheim Euthanasia Center, second commandant of Sobibor extermination camp (250,000 victims);
- Eduard Roschmann (“The Butcher of Riga”), SS officer, commandant of the Riga ghetto in 1943 responsible for many murders and other atrocities (see Odessa File).
- Franz Stangl (“White Death”), Gestapo, security officer for the T-4 Euthanasia program, first commandant of the Sobibor extermination camp, first commandant of the Treblinka extermination camps, responsible for 1.15 million murders, tried for 900,000.
- Josef Schwammberger, commandant in 1942-44 of various SS labor camps in the Krakow district, murdered for fun by whip, pistol or German Shepherd, organizer of a mass execution in the Przemyśl camp in 1943, arrested with eight bags of loot taken from murdered Jews;
- Siegfried Seidl, SS officer, murderer of thousands of people in the Theresienstadt ghetto, first commandant of the Theresienstadt concentration camp, commandant of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, deputy to Adolf Eichmann
- Gustav Wagner (“The Beast”), SS-Sergeant and deputy commandant of Sobibor extermination camp under Franz Stangl. He decided whom to kill and whom to save for slave labor.
Immediately after the 1938 “annexation” (Anschluss), Vienna’s burghers forced Viennese Jews to scrub the sidewalks with toothbrushes. But after the war and its devastating impact on Austria itself—history’s rebuke—the country, unlike Germany, refused to cleanse itself psychologically. As late as the mid-1980s, Austria refused to address its role in World War II and its multiple genocides, including the Jewish Holocaust. It refused to investigate Austrians who had been senior Nazi figures and war criminals, or to return artworks that had been looted from Jews. It supplied a lying Nazi and officer in Hitler’s Wehrmacht, Kurt Waldheim, to head the United Nations in 1972-1981, and then elected him President of Austria for six years. When Israeli commandos raided Uganda’s Entebbe airport in 1976 and freed over 100 hostages held by terrorists from the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, Waldheim voiced his displeasure at a “serious violation of the national sovereignty of a United Nations member state.”
All that started much earlier, with virulent antisemitism much worse than in Protestant Germany. Ironically, Austria’s Jews contributed more to it than any Jewish community had in any other country in the world. Karl Lueger, Vienna’s mayor from 1897 to 1910, was an open antisemite with a popular political platform to match. Hitler cited him as his personal inspiration. In World War I, when hundreds of officers in the German army were Jewish, the few that were allowed in the Austrian army had to be Catholic. converts.
Even that is not the beginning of the villainy. In no country persecutions of Protestant dissenters had been worse (e.g. as chronicled in the Anabaptists’ “Martyrs Mirror”). As to the treatment of Catholics, in 1683 Poland sacrificed its best soldiers and its treasury in order to save Austria from destruction and enslavement by Islam. Nine decades later, in 1772, Austria repaid its debt by invading the now-weakened Poland and grabbing one fifth of its territory.
And now, it’s Islam über alles. Per a Deutsche Welle report in February 2015, Islam is the fastest growing religion in Austria. As of 2013, nearly 7% of the population – 573,876 people – identified themselves as Muslim. 150,000 did so in 1990 and nearly 339,000 in 2001. That’s roughly a doubling of the Muslim population every ten years. These figures must have shot steeply upward in the last twelve months, what with Syrian, Iraqi, Somali and other Muslim “refugees” streaming in to this most popular destination (current data not available).
That trend is much accelerated in the capital city, Vienna. According to statistics relayed by Gatestone Institute’s Soeren Kern in March 2014, Muslim students now outnumber Roman Catholics at middle and secondary schools in Vienna, and are on the verge of overtaking Catholics in elementary schools. In the districts of Margareten, Rudolf Fünfhaus, Ottakring and Brigittenau over 80% of the children are from homes where German is not spoken (Gates of Vienna report, January 2013).
Books teaching Islam have already been introduced in the elementary schools but, after protests, withdrawn for some camouflage work. No doubt they will be reintroduced. Some schools have ceased teaching those parts of Austrian history that might be “offensive” to Muslim students. Austria having once been the Holy Roman Empire and Christian Europe’s bulwark against the Turks, there are many such parts.
By 2014, “one out of two people” in Vienna, as Vice Mayor Maria Vassilakou from the Green Party put it, were of immigrant origin. Frau Vassilakou, herself an immigrant too, added, “Integration is yesterday’s topic, now it’s about acceptance and promotion” (The Local, 7.27.2015)
It’s clear that Austria is doing away with itself at a far quicker pace even than Germany does as per the memorable title of Thilo Sarrazin’s book. And the faster it’s doing it, the more determined it is to lie about it and suppress critical voices. Geert Wilders is simply the latest and biggest stumbling stone to the Austrian state’s frantic whirl dance. But that radical “anti-racist” Islam-friendly façade that allows Austria to do away with itself barely covers a very ill national soul that has never found a way to reconcile itself to its genocidal past.
The self-obliteration by willful subjection to colonization by Muslims and other distinctly non-European peoples (e.g. Sikhs, Tamils) may be a form of a pathology known in psychiatry as “Deliberate Self-Harm” (DSH). In people, this may have several underlying causes, including genetics and autism, but the one that I beg to adduce in Austria’s case is what the British Mental Health Foundation defined as “A response by some people to profound and overwhelming emotional pain that cannot be resolved in a more functional way.” To wit, some otherwise normal people experience self-loathing, depression, stress, emotional numbness and low self-esteem so acutely that they disassociate themselves from it by self-cutting, stabbing, biting, burning, eye-gouging, head banging and, in extreme cases, amputation, eye or ear removal and genital self-mutilation.
Self-harm may be psychologically addictive as a coping mechanism. It’s estimated that in the United States alone 2 million people engage in it annually, and the World Health organization estimated worldwide annual DSH deaths at 880,000.
The signs of a psychosis and self-mutilation of the soul are plentiful in Austria’s general culture too, not just its demographics. The country that once originated gemütlich kitsch paintings by Adolph Hitler now glorifies Hermann Nitsch’s blood-soaked trivialities, often involving butchered animals and naked, blood-dripping women. The country that gave the world its greatest musical treasures in the 18th and 19th centuries now features a bearded drag queen pop diva, Conchita Wurst, whom it features at the Vienna State Opera — once the house of Gustav Mahler and Herbert von Karajan. The opera house, once a major temple of Western civilization, now also serves as backdrop for artistic productions such as mock slayings of Palestinian children by “Israelis” portrayed by Austrian and New-Austrian (i.e. Muslim immigrant) activists.
The country that expelled and therefore gave America its greatest filmmakers in the 1930s, names such as Billy Wilder, Otto Preminger, Fritz Lang, Fred Zinneman and Max Reinhardt, now flaunts self-lacerating depressants by directors such as Ulrich Seidl, whose vision of love (in Paradise: Love) is a middle-aged Austrian woman trolling for young African studs on the beach in Kenya; vision of Christianity (in Paradise: Faith) appears as a pious Austrian Catholic woman bickering with her Egyptian Muslim husband, and hope (in Paradise: Hope) appears as an obese 13-year-old falling in love with her summer fat farm director, forty years her senior.
Michael Haneke, another celebrated Austrian director, likes to limn French whitey’s Islamophobic and entirely gratuitous racism (in Caché) or German whitey’s pre-Hitler evil (In White Ribbon). For respite, one may see Haneke’s The Seventh Continent in which an Austrian middle-class family in the 1980s, hating its prosperous life, decides to flee to Australia for no apparent reason, but then changes its mind and commits suicide instead: little Eva first, then the mother Anna, and the father, Georg. Or maybe Benny’s Video in which the son of prosperous Austrian parents invites a girl to his home, shows her a video of a pig being slaughtered, and then slaughters her. Or The Piano Teacher, which is less about the piano and more about the teacher’s sexual self-mutilation and other sexual deviancy. On and on and on from Seidl and Haneke, and from others like Stefan Ruzowitzky, Barbara Albert and Florian Flicker
It’s no different in contemporary Austrian literature: vice, evil, self-disgust dominate, with Elfriede Jelinek having won the Nobel Prize for this specialty of hers, and Gerhard Roth (representative title: The Will to Sickness), Robert Schindel, Anna Mitgutsch and others not far behind.
Fewer than 10,000 Jews live in Austria now, down from 172,000 with another 100,000 partly Jewish or converted to Christianity, in 1938. The dream of a Judenrein country has nearly been realized, though the way by which it was attained has traumatized the sons and grandsons of the perpetrators and produced a psychological coping mechanism. That, ironically, is the replacement of the lost Jews who had been so woven into the Austrian fabric (think Johann Strauss, Ludwig von Mises, Hedy Lamarr and many more), with imported aliens whose main advantage is that they are as remote from real Austrians genetically, culturally and historically as it’s possible to be. That they hate Jews and evince a design to conquer Austria for their descendants and for Allah is not a topic that the Austrian population is allowed do discuss.
Genocidal acts and comments against Jews are no longer allowed for real Austrians, but they are allowed for the regime’s New “Austrians.” A certain Ibrahim B, a Turco-“Austrian,” posted on his Facebook page a picture of Adolf Hitler, accompanied by a statement praising the death of Jews. That, averred the state prosecutor in Linz, is a legitimate expression of “displeasure toward Israel.”
On another recent occasion, an “Ibrahim A” — a Ghanaian Muslim — vandalized four churches of Vienna. He was caught in the act of vandalizing one of them, St. Stephan’s, but was let go because police did not realize that he had already carried out several such attacks that day. Plus, he was decreed a “madman” — and what can you do with that? Nothing to do with Islam’s hatred of the kuffar.
How refreshing therefore that Austrian law is still in defense of religious dignity. The law ran roughshod over an indigenous Austrian, Elizabeth Sabaditsch-Wolff, for merely stating that Muhammad was a pedophile, which he was as per Islam’s own telling. She was convicted of “Denigration of Religious Teachings” and punished with a large fine — a conviction upheld in appellate court.
“We want an Islam with an Austrian character,” said Austrian Integration Minister Sebastian Kurz in October 2014. But Islam, via Bosnia-Herzegovina, has been a part of the larger Austria for over 100 years, and it has not shown its “Austrian” character yet — except in a way that modern Austria tries desperately to forget, when the SS Hanjar Division was comprised of up to 20,000 Bosnian Muslims.
About 190 “Austrians’ — mostly Chechens who had been granted asylum — have left to fight for ISIS. “Austrian” teenage girls leave to become ISIS brides in Syria. “Austrian” Muslim preacher Mohammed Mahmoud is believed to be one of the founders of ISIS and of its Central European operations. “Austrian” Muslim preacher Adnan Ibrahim has criticized ISIS for killing Muslims, but praised Hamas for murdering “non-believers” and Israelis.
With OPEC and IEAA headquartered in Vienna, Austria has also been Iran’s springboard for laundering funds, acquiring nuclear technology and generally circumventing the West’s embargo. Vienna was the natural site for the comic operetta of the West’s recent nuke agreement with Iran that left the muggable Obama-EU nomenklatura ecstatic and Iran’s mullahs laughing.
The mystery is why individuals may often find cure from self-harm psychosis in simple cognitive behavioral therapy, but states refuse to recognize, analyze and find rational cures for their own psychoses. Instead of listening to the sober counsel of people like Geert Wilders and Elizabeth Sabaditsch-Wolff, Austria merely speeds up the tempo of its Totentanz, its waltz of self-erasure
Totentanz, the dance of death, originated in the Germanic lands in the 14th century. It was a danced drama performed in graveyards, where Death was portrayed seizing people one after another, indiscriminately. It must have been a way for frightened crowds to cope with the incomprehensible tragedy of the “Great Death” of 1348 -9, when one third of the population of Europe died of the bubonic plague and large territories became empty wasteland.
And what was the Hitler machine, with its Austrian gears, but a repeat, in another form, of the bubonic plague? This one worse, for its genocidal aspects were willful, planned and executed with great care and dedication. However, a sophisticated European nation, heir to a great cultural and intellectual legacy, does not build its own grave and dances on it too with every means at its disposal, even if it has a heinous past to atone for. It does not punish its future generations for the sins of long-ago Nazis. It analyzes the trauma and finds a way to move forward toward a more wholesome future that does not involve self-termination.
The madness of past Austrians does not justify the counter-madness of current Austrians. Closing its borders to non-Europeans and engaging in intense cognitive behavioral therapy is what Austria needs now. Let it call Dr. Wilders onto its psychiatric treatment team, rather than try to jail him for his curative efforts.
Vienna welcomes Muslim immigrants, Feb. 2015
Vienna welcomes drag queen pop diva Conchita Wurst, May 2014
Vienna welcomes Adolf Hitler, March 1938
Max Denken was well on his way to PhDs in Economics and Political Science until he discovered that the former was based on quantifying wildly fanciful assumptions and the latter was much closer to Scientology than to Science. Born Central European, he has become Marginal American: wrong race, wrong gender, wrong sexual orientation, wrong religion, wrong thoughts.