Yesterday we were honored to be named as one of the winners of Doug Ross’ 2010 Fabulous 50 Blog Awards. This puts us in some illustrious company, because, as Mr. Ross says, they are “the most prestigious new media awards anywhere. Or at least in the 993 area code.”
Thank you, Mr. Ross!
There’s only one hitch (if it indeed can be called a hitch): our award was for “Best European Blog”.
It makes me a bit nervous every time Gates of Vienna is classified as a “European blog”. It’s not just that our good fortune might irritate the real European blogs. It’s not only the thought that Politically Incorrect, Snaphanen, or Europe News might take out a contract on us.
No, what worries me is that I might have to start acting the part. Must I wear a little beret? Bathe less often? Eat Emmenthaler? Stop pronouncing my r’s? Put diacritical marks over my vowels?
Fie on that!
You’d be surprised at some of the company we’re keeping in the Fabulous 50. Among the other winners are Matt Drudge, George Will, Charles Krauthammer, and — wait for it — George Soros.
Do we really want to be in the same club as Soros?
Oh, well — Fausta is in there, too, so it can’t be all bad…
The full list of the Fabulous 50 winners is below the jump. Take a peek — you never know who you might find there:
- Best Political Blog: Michelle Malkin
- Best Political Analyst: Ed Morrissey, Hot Air and Erick Erickson, RedState (tie)
- Best Conservative News Blog: Weasel Zippers and Gateway Pundit (tie)
- Best Op-Ed Website: American Thinker
- Best News Analysis Website: American Spectator
- Best Talker’s Website: Mark Levin
- Best New Media Family of Sites: Andrew Breitbart’s Big Government, et. al.
- Best Group Blog: Right Wing News
- Best Media Watching: NewsBusters
- Best Media Analysis: Ed Driscoll
- Best Media Analysis Story of 2010: Verum Serum, “The Pigford Case and Why the NY Times Doesn’t Want to Talk About It”
- Best Linker: Instapundit
- Best Law Blogger: William A. Jacobson, Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion
- Best News Aggregator: Drudge Report
- Best Blog Aggregator: Memeorandum
- World’s Dumbest Blogger (Lifetime Achievement Award): Matthew Yglesias
- The Rockwell Award for Best Artwork: iOwnTheWorld
- The Krugman Award for Best Story Artwork of 2010: Moonbattery, “Obama Vacation Photos”
- The Dali Award for Most Creative Blogging: Curmudgeonly & Skeptical and SondraK (tie)
- Best Up-and-Coming Political Analysis Blog: Pundit & Pundette and Nice Deb (tie)
- Best Middle East Media Watching: MEMRI Blog
- The Daniel Simpson Day Award for Snarkiest News Blog: Ace of Spades
- The Elihu Smails Award for Up-and-Coming Snark Blog: Diogenes’ Middle Finger and Sad Hill News (tie)
- Best Beltway Reporting: CNS News
- Best Government Watchdog: Judicial Watch
- Best News Editor: Mark Tapscott, Washington Examiner
- Best Science Blog: Watts Up With That?
- The Stuxnet Award for Best Information Warfare Campaign: Jawa Report
- Best Blogger working in Legacy Media: Don Surber, Charleston Daily Mail
- Best JihadFighter: Atlas Shrugs and JihadWatch (tie)
- Best Designated Hitter: Cubachi and Doug Powers (tie)
- Best Latin American Coverage: Fausta’s Blog
- The Mr. Peabody Award for Best Time-Travel Blogging: The Astute Bloggers
- Best Legacy Media Columnist: Ann Coulter, Charles Krauthammer, George Will, Walter Williams (tie)
- Best Marxist Front Group: George Soros’ Media Matters
- Best Econ Blog: Global Economic Analysis and Zero Hedge (tie)
- Best First Lady Blog: Michelle Obama’s Mirror
- Most Creative Use of Cursewords in Political Analysis: Cold Fury and DoublePlusUndead (tie)
- Best New Econ Blog: Points & Figures
- Best Blog Ring: The Watcher’s Council (all 2010 members of the Watcher’s Council are winners)