What the left is describing as racist is very often culturalist. For example, is it cultural or racial to perform genital mutilation on infant females? Is it cultural or racial to celebrate Thanksgiving? Is it cultural or racial to honor the dead in some form?
You won’t agree with all of these statements or the questions that appear below the fold. But some of them may seem to you to have sensible answers.
Here is the book.
2. Do you believe that cultures are so diverse that some people make more desirable immigrants than others?
3. Do you believe that some behaviors, such as polygamy and female genital mutilation, may be lauded in other countries but run against the grain of our culture?
4. Do you believe that people who get no guidance from society might not turn out to be angels?
5. Do you believe that our cultural ideals are not the default of humanity and need promotion in our schools and laws?
6. Do you think that it would be good for our citizens to learn about our history and culturist traditions?
7. Do you believe that a culture’s beliefs might be so influential that profiling people of some cultures could be rational?
8. Do you believe that self-government includes the right to collectively guide the direction of society?
9. Do you believe diversity means that not all cultures hold the same truths to be self-evident?
10. Do you believe that Western ideals are in competition with other ideals and could lose?
11. Do you believe that private space is sacrosanct, but public airwaves and spaces should be somewhat managed in order to promote positive values?
12. Do you believe that sometimes the desire of the majority concerning the culture should be considered when the absolute rights of individuals are asserted to protect anti-social behavior?
So…did you answer three or more affirmatively? Oh dear, you might be a culturalist…